Not even pandemic isolation can prevent people from keeping fit at home!
After a discussion with our rugby league writer John Lanzky, here is a suggested 30–minute daily routine:
- SIT UPS: Lay on yourback on the floor. Raise knees to 90–degree angle to the floor, bottom of feet flat on the floor. With hands behind head, raise head off the floor 5cm. Repeat as many times as you can.
- LEG RAISES: Sit on the couch with back flush against couch. With feet together, raise legs to a 90–degree angle to the floor. Repeat as many times as you can.
- SKIPPING: On a flat, firm surface, skip with a rope as many times as you can. Jump only 1cm in the air, just enough to let the rope pass under your feet.
- PUSH UPS: Position yourself on the floor on hands and feet. Press body downwards to the floor until chin almost touches. Repeat as many times as you can.
- ARM STRENGTHENING: Sit on the couch with back straight. Place a can of baked beans or similar in each hand. Raise each hand alternatively, lifting baked beans to shoulder height. Repeat as many times as you can.
For those who are not in isolation at home, these exercises can be done at some beaches and parks.
Gai wins record 7th Golden Slipper Stakes
Jockey Hugh Bowman secured his maiden Group 1 win recently in the $3.5 million Golden Slipper Stakes aboard Farnan, who easily took out the feature race at Rosehill Gardens. Farnan is co-trained by Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott. Waterhouse celebrated her seventh success in the world’s richest race for two year olds, eclipsing the previous record of six winners by her father, the late Tommy Smith.
Aussie girls win the T20 World Cup Final
Congratulations to our women’s T20 cricket team on their 85–run win against India in the final. The crowd of 80,000 at the MCG was treated to a top–class match, where Alyssa Healy took the player–of–the–match award with a stunning 75–run knock. Captain Meg Lanning was supremely proud of her team, although she admits for most of the match she thought the Aussies were not in a position to win. Pop superstar Katy Perry entertained the crowd.